The SearchME Toolbar is a browser add-on that is available free of cost, and once installed, it creates a number of shortcuts on your browser. The developers of this toolbar get money from the advertisement displayed on the search pages. As this is a commercial application; therefore, the search results appeared are often manipulated to promote certain websites to make commissions. This malicious application is categorized as a browser hijacker virus that can take complete control of your browsing without your consent, and dictate its own terms & conditions. This application presents itself as a legit search engine, and uses the Google logo, but in reality, the SearchME Toolbar is an infection that displays spam contents for commercial purposes. This infection comes with the system when you perform live video streaming, download the free entertainment stuff like games, and software, downloading the PDF creators, and download managers.
The Manual Removal of SearchME Toolbar
After getting infected from the SearchME Toolbar virus, we strongly recommend to delete this lethal infection from the computer without wasting a single minute. For new and basic level computer users, there are some reliable and powerful automatic tools available through which you can remove this infection easily. If you prefer the manual removal, following are the steps you need to cover:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal you are required to terminate the normal mode of operation. You have to reboot the PC and hit the F8 key repeatedly that brings a boot options menu on the screen. Once the boot options appear on the screen, select the safe mode before pressing the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
The next step of the manual removal is killing of the malicious processes associated with this infection. You have to access the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. You can see a list of running processes under the processes tab of the task manager window, End the following malicious processes one by one using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Following are the files that you are required to remove by opening the file explorer, and using the delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\SearchME Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\SearchME Toolbar\SearchME Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run option, and execute the “regedit.exe” command to clean the windows registry. Remove the following corrupt entries created by this adware infection, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchME Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchME Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchME Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchME Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SearchME Toolbar\DisplayName SearchME Toolbar
Restart the machine in the normal mode to see the effect of recent changes. Do not forget to update the antivirus program before running a complete system scan to remove the infections caused by this virus.