The search.wajam.com is a misleading website that presents itself as a legitimate and useful search engine, but in reality this is nothing more than a malicious application. Once entered in the selected computer, the search.wajam.com infection hijacks the browser completely, and changes the internet settings on the computer. You will notice that the default browser as well as homepage is altered without your permission. At first look, this looks a useful browser, but actually it is a fake application that is designed for the commercial purposes and record your browsing activity which is then used for fraudulent purposes. This complicated browser hijacker can infect all the major browsers including the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozila Firefox. Every time you try to search anything with the help of this fake application, you will be redirected towards unknown website.
The Manual Removal of search.wajam.com
After getting infected with the search.wajam.com virus, you have to find an effective way to remove this infection. There are manual as well as automatic methods of removal available to get rid of this virus and both methods have their own benefits and drawbacks. The instructions for the manual removal method are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before start following the removal instructions, it is compulsory that you start the system in the safe mode. You have to use the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access the boot options menu. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, you have to select the safe mode option and hit the enter key to start the PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You need to access the windows task manager with the help of the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. The list of running processes is available under the processes tab in the windows task manager from which you have to kill the following corrupt processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The Next step of this manual removal process is the removal of the associated data. In this regard, you are required to find as well as delete the following suspicious files hidden in the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to access the registry editor in order to remove the alterations made by this malicious browser hijacker in the registry section of the windows. You have to open the start menu, select the Run option, and execute the regedit.exe command to access the registry editor. Remove the following suspicious entries from the windows registry and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\search.wajam.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\search.wajam.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\search.wajam.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\search.wajam.com\DisplayName search.wajam.com
The manual removal process is now complete; therefore, you have to reboot the computer in the normal mode to check the effectiveness of the manual removal efforts.