The Sammsoft toolbar is actually a legitimate toolbar that is developed by the hackers to attack the windows based computers, and this malicious application can infect all the versions of windows that includes Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. This infection often installed in the system without the consent of the user, and perform illegal activities within the system. This malicious application is developed by the notorious cyber criminals for the single purpose of identity theft; therefore, as soon as it enters in the computer, the Sammsoft toolbar start tracking your online activities, and try to steal your confidential data that may include your emails, passwords, shopping preferences, and most importantly the credit card details. The toolbar is developed and released under the name of AnchoFree Inc. This malicious application changes the browser settings including the default search engine to redirect all your searches towards certain websites.
The Manual Removal of Sammsoft toolbar
Once attacked by the Sammsoft toolbar, you need to clean and protect your system by removing this deadly dangerous parasite at your earliest. You can take help of any automatic removal tool to delete this virus. Besides that, you can also remove this infection manually by using the complicated yet possible manual removal method. The instructions for the manual removal of this virus are described as under:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before starting the actual removal process of the Sammsoft toolbar, you need to restart the computer in the safe mode. You can select the safe mode option from boot options menu which can be accessed by using the F8 key.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once the system starts operating in the safe mode, you have to kill the malicious processes associated with this threat. You have to open the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and hit the processes tab to see the list of running processes inside your computer. Delete the following associated processes of the Sammsoft toolbar:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Once you have completed the removal of processes, you have to proceed to the next step of manual removal method that is removal of following suspicious files along with their folders:-
- %Desktopdir%\Sammsoft toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Sammsoft toolbar\Sammsoft toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Click on the start menu, select run, and type Regedit to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to find as well as delete the following corrupt registry entries that are considered as the related entries of this malicious application:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sammsoft toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sammsoft toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sammsoft toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sammsoft toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Sammsoft toolbar\DisplayName Sammsoft toolbar
After completing the removal of above mentioned suspicious entries, you have to close down the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode. Run a complete system scan through the updated version of your antivirus program.