The Safestep-police.org is a malicious application that belongs from the nasty ransomware family of infections. The Safestep-police.org is a type of infection that always enters in any system, secretly without providing any information to the user. Once this ransomware attacks the system, it blocks the system, and you are unable to access most of your programs. When you start your system, you will see a huge message on the screen that asks you to pay a certain amount as fine to unlock the system. It can infect all the popular browsers, including the Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Safari. Once this virus settles down in the system, it starts performing several harmful activities within the system that makes your computer useless. Your antivirus cannot detect this lethal ransomware as it is developed with multi layer coding. You have to remember that even if you pay the fine amount, the system will never unlock, and you will not only lose your money, but also the precious financial information such as real name, credit card numbers, and passwords. All such information is then used by these hackers in other cyber crimes.
Removal of Safestep-police.org
Once it becomes obvious that the Safestep-police.org is available in the system, you need to remove this nasty ransomware quickly, and effectively. There are some effective automatic tools available to remove this ransomware. However, you can also remove this ransomware infection manually, by following the instructions mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You can execute the different steps involved in the manual removal process after accessing the safe mode. Restart the computer, and while the system is restarted, press the F8 key repeatedly to see the boot options menu screen. Select the safe mode option from the list, and press the Enter key to access the safe mode on your system.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to start the task manager window, and click on the processes tab where you can see the list of processes. End the following suspicious processes associated with this ransomware infection, and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the associated processes, you have to open the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following malicious files as quickly as possible:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You need to get rid of the fake startup keys, and other entries from the windows registry. In this regard, open the registry editor by running the Regedit command through the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following associated entries of the Safestep-police.org as soon as possible:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Safestep-police.org\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Safestep-police.org\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Safestep-police.org\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Safestep-police.org\DisplayName Safestep-police.org
Close the registry editor before restarting the system in the normal mode. If the virus is removed successfully, run a complete system scan through your existing antivirus program.