The SafeFinder Smartbar is a malicious program that is classified as a browser hijacker, and sneaks in the system without providing any kind of prior information to the user. Once installed, it hijacks your browsing activities and creates a lot of trouble for the innocent users. The first change you will notice because of this infection is, the default search engine along with the homepage of your browser is modified without your consent. When you try to search anything on the web, you will receive manipulated search results. You will receive annoying pop-up ads on the screen frequently, and cannot perform your routine tasks because of the availability of this infection in the system. Mostly these pop-up ads and fake alerts are bout the coupon deals available on the popular shopping websites. A significant decrease in overall performance of the system along with the browsing speed will be noticed because of the SafeFinder Smartbar.
Removal of SafeFinder Smartbar
As soon as you realized the presence of the SafeFinder Smartbar in your system, you have to take some effective measures to clean your PC from this browser hijacker. There are some good automatic tools available that can delete this virus completely from your system within just a few minutes. For the experienced computer users there is a manual removal process available which is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the system to terminate the normal mode, and press the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access the boot options list. Select the safe mode option from the available list before pressing the Enter key to access the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once you have accessed the system in the safe mode successfully, you have to remove the associated processes through the windows task manager. The task manager can be accessed by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, select the processes tab, and remove the following malicious processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
As soon as you successfully removed the attached processes of this browser hijacker, you have to open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the SafeFinder Smartbar:-
- %Desktopdir%\SafeFinder Smartbar.lnk
- %Programs%\SafeFinder Smartbar\SafeFinder Smartbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Finally, you have to clean the windows registry to complete this process. Open the Start menu, select Run option, and type RegEdit before pressing OK button to access the registry editor. You have to remove the following fake registry keys with the help of the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SafeFinder Smartbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SafeFinder Smartbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SafeFinder Smartbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SafeFinder Smartbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SafeFinder Smartbar\DisplayNameSafeFinder Smartbar
Check the availability of the infection by accessing the system in the normal mode. If the virus is still available, repeat the same process. You are required to update your existing antivirus program after successful removal of the SafeFinder Smartbar, and run a complete system scan.