The Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR is a newly discovered Trojan infection that attacks the windows based computers and creates a lot of issues in your PC as well as default browser. It can damage the system in a number of different ways, and make it impossible for the user to resume normal routine work on the system. The main objective of the Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR is to collect the highly confidential details of the user. These details may include the information about the credit card of the user, passwords, emails, and browsing preferences. After collecting this information, it is transferred to a remote server managed by the hackers, and they use this crucial information in the online financial frauds, and other cyber crimes. After encrypting the important system files, this malicious application asks users to pay the fee to decrypt the files. This nasty Trojan keep redirecting you towards harmful websites where you can easily be the victim of the additional parasites. Apart from the above mentioned actions, this malicious Trojan makes your system extremely slow and takes most of the available space on your computer.
Manual Removal of Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR
Once you are able to confirm the presence of the Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR in your computer, you have to take some immediate steps to get rid of this infection. For the novice users, there are some excellent automatic removal tools available through which you can delete this virus within just a few clicks of the mouse. Apart from that, the manual removal of this Trojan is also possible which is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Access the infected computer in the safe mode before starting the manual removal process. In this regard, you need to restart the system and use the F8 key while the system is restarting to see the list of boot options. Choose the safe mode from the available list of options and press the Enter key to access the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You have to start the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and once the task manager window appeared on the screen, select the Processes tab to see a list of processes running in the background of your PC. Find and delete the following associated processes of the Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
In the next step of this complicated process, you have to remove the following malicious files by using the file explorer:-
- %Desktopdir%\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR .lnk
- %Programs%\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR \Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the start menu, select Run and type RegEdit in the box to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to carefully remove the following suspicious registry entries with the help of the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Cidox.H.VBR \DisplayNameRootkit.Cidox.H.VBR
After confirming that the Trojan is removed successfully, you have to update your antivirus program and run a full system scan.