The RocketTab is a dangerous infection that presents itself as a useful browser application that is designed to compare different online offers. However, this is an annoying infection that keeps showing you the pop-up ads on the screen of your system while surfing on the web. The RocketTab is classified as an adware program that installed on the windows based computers as a browser extension. Once this nasty adware sneaks in the system, it shows thousands of pop-up ads on your PC regardless of your interests or current online activity. This malicious application modifies the basic browser settings which results in modification in your home page, default search engine, and desktop background. It can corrupt all the browsers including the Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. You cannot access some important system utilities such as task manager, and registry editor. Besides that, it also makes the speed of the system extremely slow due to which most of the executable files become inaccessible. Apart from all such harmful actions, the RocketTab is also used to track your browsing activity, ad steal your most private financial details.
Removal of RocketTab
After discovering the RocketTab on your system, you have to take this infection seriously as it can be a huge threat to the privacy of your data. You can get rid of this adware infection either by using any reliable automatic removal tool that is available easily online or by following the instructions about manual removal process that are described as under :-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You can start the manual removal process of the RocketTab as soon as the system starts in the safe mode. In this regard, you simply have to restart the infected computer and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of options. Choose the safe mode option from the list and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Click on the Processes tab once the task manager window is visible. Remove the following associated processes of the RocketTab before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, navigate to the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the RocketTab with the help of the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The most important step of this whole process is normalizing the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries. Open the registry editor by selecting the start menu, choose Run option, and type Regedit in the box. After accessing the registry editor, delete the following entries associated with the RocketTab, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RocketTab\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RocketTab\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RocketTab\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RocketTab\DisplayName RocketTab
Do not forget to start the system in the normal mode to check you have removed the virus successfully or otherwise.