The RetroGamer toolbar is a malicious application that is considered as the potentially unwanted program. The hackers use free download of popular software to spread this nasty toolbar infection. Once you allow downloading such malicious toolbar on your system, it immediately changes your browser homepage as well as the default search engine. You will notice several other changes on the main interface window of the browser, and all such changes are made without your consent. It is an advertising platform that can infect all the browsers including Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Besides that, it also modifies the load time threshold of your default browser. You may not be able to download any application on your system because of the presence of this infection, and you will also notice a huge decrease in the overall performance of your system.
Removal of RetroGamer toolbar
After confirming the availability of the RetroGamer toolbar in your browser, you need to find a way to get out of this situation. The automatic removal of this infection is available which is easy, quick, and recommended for the novice computer users. On the other hand, you can also remove such infection manually, but it is only recommended for the experienced users. The manual removal instructions are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal process, you have to access the safe mode operation. In this regard, restart the machine, and access the boot options screen with the help of F8 key. Select the Safe Mode option from the list of available list, and press the Enter key to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step of this process, you have to delete the associated processes of this infection by remaining in the safe mode. In this regard, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. You have to remove the following associated processes of this toolbar infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to remove the associated files of this malicious toolbar. Following are some of the suspicious files required to be removed quickly to get rid of this infection:-
- %Desktopdir%\RetroGamer toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\RetroGamer toolbar\RetroGamer toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the final step of this process, you remove the fake entries from the windows registry. In this regard, open the registry editor by running the “regedit” command through the Start Menu. Remove the following suspicious entries from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RetroGamer toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RetroGamer toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RetroGamer toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RetroGamer toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RetroGamer toolbar\DisplayNameRetroGamer toolbar
Restart the machine in the normal mode and check the availability of the infection. Run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus. If the virus is still persisting in the system, you need to repeat the same process again.