The Rebateinformer is a malicious application categorized as a lethal adware that penetrate the windows platforms without providing the prior information to the users. Once installed, the Rebateinformer virus modifies some basic settings in your PC including the home page, default search engine, and DNS settings without your permission. This lethal adware is capable of infecting all the versions of the windows operating system. This harmful parasite can be extremely dangerous as it changes the security settings of your PC, modify the registry entries, and remove some crucial system files. The Rebateinformer virus is designed, developed, and distributed by the cyber crooks to earn money through un-ethical ways like pay per click advertisement. After entering in the system, the Rebateinformer virus makes your PC super slow by eating a large portion of system resources. The performance of the PC also degrades as you will experience frequent browser crashes, screen freezes, and system restarts without any reason. All your searching efforts will be redirected towards unknown websites to generate traffic on these sites.
The Manual Removal of Rebateinformer
After becoming a victim of the Rebateinformer virus, you need to clean your PC by deleting the infection through an effective method. There is manual removal method available to get rid of the Rebateinformer virus, but it is extremely difficult for the basic level computer users. The instructions for the manual removal method are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal of the Rebateinformer infection starts when you reboot the computer in the safe mode. Press the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access the list of boot options. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the safe mode option from the available list and hit the Enter key to reboot the infected system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
To kill the malicious processes associated with this virus you need to open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Click on the processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of the processes running in the background. Kill the following associated processes of the Rebateinformer infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Now you have to remove the following files associated of the Rebateinformer virus from the system files folder with the help of the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to open the Start Menu, select the Run option, and type RegEdit in the box before pressing the OK button to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you must remove the following modifications created by this adware program, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rebateinformer\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rebateinformer\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rebateinformer\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rebateinformer\DisplayName Rebateinformer
Reboot the system in the normal mode to see the manual removal process is successful or otherwise. Run a system scan through the updated version of any reliable antivirus software.