The RankRomp ads is a dangerous computer infection that has infected thousands of computers recently all over the world, and classified as an adware infection. This malicious application acts just like a commercial platform that is used by the cyber thugs to promote third party products, services, coupon deals, pop-up ads, drop-down ads, and other harmful commercials. This nasty adware sneaks in the computers while performing unsafe browsing, downloading freeware, and junk mail attachments. This malicious application is designed wisely by the cyber crooks as it first tracks your online activity, and then send targeted pop-up ads and commercial advertisements according to your browsing prefrences. The RankRomp ads installed as a browser extension, and it can attached with all the browsers including the Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, and Safari. It removes the important system files, create corrupt entries in the windows registry, block executable programs, disable the antivirus program. It also makes your computer extremely slow by utilizing system resources.
Removal of RankRomp ads
Once you can find the RankRomp ads on the system, you have to take immediate steps to remove this infection at your earliest in order to minimize the loss. There are some extremely effective automatic tools available to get rid of this nasty adware. The process of manual removal of this infection is extremely difficult for the novice computer users. The detailed instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal method can be started once the computer starts working in the safe mode. You have to restart the machine and keep striking the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of options. You must select the safe mode option from the list and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
When you are able to open the system in the safe mode, you have to access the windows task manager by accessing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Get rid of the following associated processes of the RankRomp ads virus from the Processes tab in the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the above mentioned steps, you have to remove the following associated files of the RankRomp ads infection:-
- %Desktopdir%\RankRomp ads.lnk
- %Programs%\RankRomp ads\RankRomp ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to reverse the modifications made by this virus in the windows registry. Open the registry editor by selecting the start menu, choose Run option, and type Regedit in the box. After accessing the registry editor, delete the following entries associated with the RankRomp ads:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RankRomp ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RankRomp ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RankRomp ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RankRomp ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\RankRomp ads\DisplayName RankRomp ads
Restart the system once again but this time in the normal mode to analyze the success of the manual removal efforts, and run a system scan from the main interface of your antivirus program.