The QuickRef is a type of computer worm that always sneaks in the computers without providing any prior information to the user, and immediately modify the default settings on the targeted system. This malicious application is classified as an adware program that is wisely designed by the cyber hackers to connect the targeted PC to a remote server that is managed by these notorious cyber criminals. It can access your private details such as bank account credentials, credit card details, login information, and browsing history, and transfer all such details to the remote hackers. The QuickRef adware program can infect all the major browsers including Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari. When you try to remove or change your default browser, it stops your access. This nasty adware program utilizes a huge portion of your system resources which results in slow speed, and frequent errors.
Removal of QuickRef
This adware infection is considered as extremely dangerous for your system, and should be removed quickly in order to minimize the damage. As soon as you are able to confirm this infection in your system, you have to find a way to get rid of this adware program. The automatic removal in this regard is easy and fast method, and ideal for the basic level users. The instructions for the manual removal process are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal of the QuickRef starts after accessing the safe mode on your system. Restart the computer, and access the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once you access the boot options list, you have to press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window where you can see all the processes running in the background of your computer. You have to remove the following associated processes of the QuickRef with the help of “End Process” button, and close the task manager window: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
In the next step, access the system files folder by using the file explorer, and remove the following suspicious files by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Normalize the windows registry to complete this complicated process of manual removal. In this regard, click on the start menu, select Run, and type Regedit in the box to open the registry editor. You are required to eradicate the following malicious entries related to this dangerous adware, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickRef\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickRef\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickRef\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\QuickRef\DisplayName QuickRef
Restart the system in the normal mode and see the effect of changes you have made recently. Upate your existing antivirus program and run a system scan.