The PUP.Zone is a dangerous application classified as a potentially unwanted program that always sneaks in the personal computers without getting the consent of the user. It hides itself along with other system files due to which it becomes almost impossible for user to detect this nasty application. This infection is capable of making several changes in the system settings without your permission which includes home page, search provider, desktop, DNS settings, and modifications in the windows registry. It removes the dll files from the system files folder without your permission, and makes your system super slow. The PUP.Zone is always active in the background, and you will notice that the system is restarting automatically after certain intervals. This malicious application makes your task manager and registry editor completely inaccessible. Moreover, it floods the screen of the infected PC with pop-up messages due to which you cannot surf on the web freely. It shows manipulated search results whenever you try to search something on the internet.
Removal of PUP.Zone
The PUP.Zone is actually a tricky program that can destroy your system completely if you failed to remove it in quick time. You can easily get rid of this infection by selecting any reliable automatic tool. Besides that, the manual removal process is also possible, yet difficult, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all, you have to access the system in the safe mode so that you can proceed with the manual removal method. Restart the computer to terminate the normal mode, and access the boot options screen by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. After accessing the boot options, select the Safe Mode, and press the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step of the manual removal process, you have to start the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab where you can see all the processes running in the background. You have to find, and remove the following corrupt processes, and close the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once you are done with the associated Processes issue, you have to remove the following suspicious files from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the registry section by removing the associated entries of the PUP.Zone. In this regard, access the registry editor through the Run option on the Start Menu, and type “regedit” in the box before pressing the “OK”. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following associated entries of the PUP.Zone, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Zone\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Zone\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Zone\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Zone\DisplayName PUP.Zone
Reboot the system in the normal mode before running a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus.