The PUP.ThinkTankLabs is a malicious application that is classified as an adware infection, and can infect most of the browsers including the Safari, Google Chrome. Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Once installed, the PUP.ThinkTankLabs can modify the existing configuration of your browser to gain the complete control of your online movement. This adware program is distributed through spam email links, downloading freeware from untrusted websites, and visiting porn sites. Once this malicious application arrived in the computer, it starts displaying tons of pop-up ads on the screen of the infected system. These pop-up ads are mostly related to the commercial advertisement to promote some low ranked websites. The PUP.ThinkTankLabs is used by the hackers to collect the personal information of the user including the financial details. The speed of your browser becomes super slow, and most of the system resources are consumed by this virus which causes several problems in the computer.
Removal of PUP.ThinkTankLabs
Once this nasty adware infection enters in the system, you have to protect your data and resources by removing it quickly, and completely. You can get rid of this adware program by using the automatic removal method. Apart from that, the manual removal method is also available in this regard. The instructions for the manual removal of the PUP.ThinkTankLabs are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal only takes place when the system is working in the safe mode instead of the normal mode. Open the start menu, select restart, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu while the system is restarted. After accessing the boot options menu on the screen, hit the Enter key to open the safe mode operation on your computer.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to kill the associated processes of the PUP.ThinkTankLabs . In this regard, hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the processes tab. Remove the following associated processes of the PUP.ThinkTankLabs infection before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Explore the system files folder where you have to find and remove the following associated files of this malicious application:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, do not forget to delete the malicious entries from the windows registry. Select the Start Menu, click on the Run option, and write Regedit in the box before pressing the OK button to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following suspicious entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ThinkTankLabs.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ThinkTankLabs.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ThinkTankLabs.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ThinkTankLabs.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.ThinkTankLabs.A
Reboot the system in the normal mode to check the success or failure of the manual removal process. Run a complete system scan through an updated version of any powerful antivirus program.