The PUP.Optional.WpManager.A is a lethal pop-up virus that has the attributes of the redirect virus. Once installed, the PUP.Optional.WpManager.A affect your default web browser by changing all the basic settings including the default search engine, and desktop background. This malicious application is used by the cyber crooks to display tons of unwanted ads to promote unknown products. This is mostly to generate the traffic on some low ranked affiliate sites, and make commissions through pay per click programs. These ads are targeted according to the browsing habits of the user which means your browsing activity is monitored by these hackers before sending the pop-up ads. You are unable to open any website as it keeps redirecting you towards unknown places. The overall performance as well as speed is also affected badly because of this nasty computer virus.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.WpManager.A
Once your system shows the symptoms of the PUP.Optional.WpManager.A infection, you have to take immediate steps after confirming its presence. You can get rid of this malicious application by selecting any powerful automatic removal tool. Besides that, the manual removal option is also there which is only recommended for the advanced level computer users. The instructions for the manual removal of the PUP.Optional.WpManager.A are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You can start the manual removal process once you are able to access the infected machine in the safe mode. The mode of operation can be changed by restarting the system, and selecting the safe mode from the boot options list that can be accessed by using the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the system in the safe mode you have to proceed towards the next step of the manual removal process which is the removal of the associated processes of this infection. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab. Kill the following associated processes of the PUP.Optional.WpManager.A:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Access the system files folder by using the file explorer, and get rid of the following files with the help of the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The manual removal process cannot be considered as completed unless you do not clean the corrupt entries from the windows registry. Open the start menu, click on the Run option, and write “regedit.exe” to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following associated entries of the PUP.Optional.WpManager.A:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.WpManager.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.WpManager.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.WpManager.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.WpManager.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.WpManager.A
Restart the computer in the normal mode to see how successfully you have removed the infection after closing the registry editor. If the virus is removed successfully, run a full system scan through the updated version of your current antivirus program.