The PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A is a dangerous malware that is developed to specifically target the windows based computers, and often sneaks in the system without getting the consent of the user. This virus distributed through junk mail attachments, p2p sharing of files, using corrupt removable devices, and visiting porn websites. The PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A virus uses the rootkit tactics to avoid the detection through any antivirus or other security tools. After settling down in the system the PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A modify the settings related to the internet in order to control the browsing activity of the user. These settings include the home page, search provider, and desktop background. This nasty infection make sure that you will never be able to reverse these modifications by placing the lock files. Besides that this virus also disables the content security policy of your default browser which allows this infection for cross site scripting. The PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A utilizes a huge amount of system resources which affect the speed as well as performance of the system negatively.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A
After realizing, and confirming the presence of the PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A infection, you need to take some solid steps to get rid of this lethal malware infection. You can achieve this objective by using any automatic tool. Or by following the complicated steps of the manual removal process. The manual removal instructions are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal is not possible by remaining in the normal mode; therefore, you need to change the mode of operation of the system from normal to safe. Restart the machine, and use the F8 to to open the boot options menu. Choose the safe mode from the list of boot options before pressing the Enter key to start the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
The next step in the manual removal process is killing of the associated processes of of the PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A. Open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the “Processes” tab in the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background of your PC. Remove the following malicious processes associated with the PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and get rid of the following associated files of the PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The most important step of this whole process is the removal of the malicious entries from the windows registry. Execute the “regedit” command by using the Run option available in the start menu to access the registry editor. After accessing the registry editor, you have to remove the following corrupt entries as quickly as possible:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.Storimbo.A
Do not forget to restart the computer in the normal mode to see the result of your efforts, and run a system scan if the virus is removed successfully.