The PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A is a malicious application considered as a potentially unwanted program, and classified as an adware program that has infected thousands of computers all over the world in the recent years. Once installed on any computer, this nasty adware degrades the speed of the browser, and start collecting the personal financial details of the user. These details are then transferred to the hackers who uses such information in the online financial frauds. This malicious application sneaks in the computers while downloading freeware from the unknown source, visiting porn websites, opening spam email attachments, and sharing files on peer to peer networks. Once this virus enters in the system, you cannot perform web surfing freely as every time you goes online, the system becomes slow or stop responding. This lethal adware program destroys important system files, modify the security settings, and alter the windows registry without your permission.
Removal of PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A
As soon as it is confirmed that the PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A adware enters in the system, you have to protect your system by removing it. There are manual as well as automatic removal options available, and you have to select a method according to your level of expertise. The automatic method is convenient and fast; whereas, the manual removal is extremely hard for the basic level users. The instructions for the manual removal of this malicious application are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the steps of the manual removal, you need to boot the computer in the safe mode. Access to the boot options menu by using the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once the boot options menu is accessed, select the safe mode, and press the Enter key to boot the infected computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab under the task manager window. Under this tab you need to find and delete the following associated processes of this adware by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the associated processes of the PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A virus, you need to remove the following files from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to complete the manual removal process by removing the fake entries from the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the Start menu. Remove the following suspicious entries from the windows registry once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.Squirrelweb.A
Restart the machine in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal efforts, and run a complete system scan if the virus is removed successfully.