The PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A is another variation of recently discovered adware infections that not only affect the system performance badly, but also harm your system resources, and creates data privacy issues in the infected computer. This malicious adware can infect all the major browsers after changing the default browser settings, and dictate its own terms without getting the consent of the user while performing online searches. This malicious application distributed through spam email attachments, infectious websites, and downloading freeware from unauthenticated sources. The nitrous cyber crooks use this deadly dangerous adware program to sneaks in the system and steal the most confidential data of the users like browsing history email logins along with the passwords, shopping preferences, and most importantly the credit card numbers and bank account credentials. It presents itself as a legitimate application but the fact is that, this is a harmful program that can be extremely destructive if not removed in time. Besides other actions, the PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A also displays the fake security pop-ups to threat the user.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A
After confirming the arrival of the PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A infection inside the system, you have to decide what method you prefer to remove this virus. You can get rid of this malicious application either manually which is recommended only for professional level computer users, or by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool. The instructions for manual removal of the PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A adware are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all, you have to terminate the normal mode of operation, and start the system in the safe mode before performing the manual removal method. Press the F8 key repeatedly to see the boot options while the system is being restarted and select the safe mode option from the list to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once your system starts working in the safe mode, you have to remove the malicious processes through windows task manager. You can access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab where you can see the list of all the processes running in the background. You need to end the following associated processes of this adware program:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to locate as well as remove the following associated files of the PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A infection from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the registry editor by using the RegEdit command that can be executed through the Run option available in the Start menu. Delete the following corrupt entries associated with the PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.SmartBar.A
Close the registry editor and restart the system in the normal mode to see the result of the manual removal efforts, and run a system scan through an updated version of the antivirus software.