PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A is a dangerous infection that is classified as a Potentially Unwanted Program. This malicious application uses modern techniques to deceive the innocent users and enter in the system. Spam email attachments, and freeware downloads are the main methods through which the PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A infiltrate in the system. Once entered successfully in the system, it modifies the browser settings, and you will notice a new homepage along with an unknown search engine. The PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A is a tricky application that is wisely designed to hide itself deeply in the system files folder. It connects the system to a remote server in order to record the important data of the user. These details may include credit card numbers, emails, passwords, and browsing history. The data then transferred to the hackers and they try to use these details to steal the money of the user. You will also notice constant diversions towards unknown websites whenever you try to open a browser window. This dangerous infection also causes tons of pop-up ads on the screen which does not allow you to surf on the web freely. The speed as well as performance of the system also gets affected negatively because of the presence of this PUP.
Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A
There are some efficient automatic removal tools available to get rid of the PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A. For the experienced users, there is a manual removal method available which is extremely complicated, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through any of the complicated step of the manual removal process, it is compulsory to access the infected PC in the safe mode. You have to restart the computer so that the normal mode can be terminated, and with the help of the F8 key, you can access the boot options screen. Select the Safe Mode option from the list of available options, and hit the Enter key to start the Safe Mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together and select the processes tab available under the task manager window. Delete the following malicious processes associated with this Infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once you have removed the associated processes of this infection, you have to get rid of the following files that are hidden in the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt additions made by this parasite. In this regard, access the registry editor by running the RegEdit command from the Start menu and, remove the following associated entries of the PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.ShoppingGate.A
Check the success or failure of the manual removal efforts by rebooting the system in the normal mode. Do not forget to run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus program.