How to Remove PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A?
The PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A is a recently distributed threat that is specifically designed to attack the windows based platforms. There are several harmful actions that are performed by the PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A virus including generating the BSOD error, creating modifications in the windows registry, changing the windows firewall, displaying pop-up ads, redirect all your searches, and many more. You can see a flood of the unwanted fake system alerts on the screen because of this lethal infection. These fake alerts notify you that the system is at high risk, and the main motive of all such activities is to steal the personal details related to the targeted users. This information includes emails, passwords, bank account details, tax return details, and credit card numbers. This information is tranfered remotely to the cyber criminals or the developers of this virus who use it to make money through illegal ways.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A
Once the availability of the PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A is confirmed, the next things comes in the mind how to remove this virus. You can use the automatic removal tools that are convenient as well as easy to use; whereas, the manual method is only recommended for the professional level users. The steps involved in the manual removal of this malicious application are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Once you are able to see the list of boot options, you have to select the safe mode option, and hit the enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode instead of the normal mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system starts working in the safe mode of operation, you have to open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. You can see a list of all the running processes under the processes tab in the windows task manager. You are required to delete the following associated processes of the PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to remove the associated data of this malicious application. In this regard, following are the files that are needed to be removed from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last but most important step of this process is removal of the malicious entries from the windows registry. Start the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select “Run”, and write “regedit.exe” before pressing the “OK” button. Delete the following asscoaited entries of this lethal infection after accessing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.PCPerformer.A
Close the registry editor before rebooting the system once again in the normal mode to see the effect of changes you have made recently. Run a complete system scan after updating the current antivirus application.