The PUP.Optional.Installex is a dangerous computer worm that is categorized as an adware program. This malicious application sneaks in the windows based computers without the consent of the user, and perform several harmful activities. The PUP.Optional.Installex is used to display the pop-up ads related to coupons, and other sponsored links for the commercial purposes. This virus spreads through malicious websites, downloading freeware from unreliable sources, and p2p sharing of resources. One of the obvious signs of the PUP.Optional.Installex is, your browser crashes frequently whenever you try to surf on the web. The PUP.Optional.Installex is developed and distributed by the cyber crooks for commercial purposes, and this malicious application can easily access your confidential details once it entered in the PC. These details are used to make money through frauds. The PUP.Optional.Installex has several aliases; therefore it can easily bypass the detection through traditional programs. It has the ability to infect all the versions of the windows, and can replicate itself easily. Besides above mentioned symptoms, the PUP.Optional.Installex virus makes the computer extremely slow.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.Installex
Once it is confirmed that the PUP.Optional.Installex virus is available inside your PC, you must remove this adware effectively as well as efficiently. The manual removal of the PUP.Optional.Installex has been extremely difficult yet possible; whereas the automatic removal is easier. The instructions for the manual removal of this virus are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all you need to restart the system in the safe mode by using the F8 key to access the boot options list. Once the boot options menu is accessed, select the safe mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab to see a list of processes running in the background of your computer. Kill the following processes related to the PUP.Optional.Installex adware program and close the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the above mentioned steps of the manual removal process, you have to remove the following files associated with the PUP.Optional.Installex adware program from the system files folder of your local hard drive:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the start menu, select Run, and type “RegEdit” in the box to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed successfully, you have to find as well as delete the following malicious associated entries of the PUP.Optional.Installex virus:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Installex\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Installex\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Installex\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Installex\DisplayName PUP.Optional.Installex
Close the registry editor before restarting the computer , and run a complete system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus program to remove the infections caused by the PUP.Optional.Installex adware program.