The PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A is a complicated application that is categorized as a potentially unwanted program that sneaks in the computers secretly, and perform several harmful actions in the system. Once installed, it immediately alters the browser settings in order to take the control of your surfing, and you will notice that the home page, as well as the search provider is modified without your permission. This malicious program closely monitors your surfing habits, and also steals your personal details. It modifies the security settings, and disables the antivirus as well as the windows firewall to transfer additional parasites to your computer. This malicious application is also responsible of displaying annoying pop-up ads to promote certain types of products, and affiliate sites. The application is developed with the obvious goal of extracting the money from the pockets of targeted users through illegal ways. The PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A attacks the computers through file sharing networks, spam emails, freeware downloads, and infected removable storage devices.
Removal of PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A
You have to confirm the presence of the PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A before removing this nasty infection. You can easily remove this infection by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool that is easily available. If you have experience of removing such stubborn programs, you can try the manual removal of this infection that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The execution of manual removal process starts when your system is accessed in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the system to terminate the normal mode, and open the boot options menu by pressing the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Choose the safe mode option from the list and press the Enter key to access the safe mode on the infected machine.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed, you have to remove the associated processes of this application. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the task manager, and click on the processes tab to see the list of processes running in your PC. Eliminate the following associated processes of the PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once you are done with the removal of associated process, you have to delete the following files associated with this program from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Normalize the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries created by this infection. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select Run option, and type RegEdit. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following malicious entries associated with the PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A
You have to check if the manual removal efforts are successful or not by rebooting the system in the normal mode. Update the existing antivirus, and run a complete system scan.