The PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A is a creepy adware that sneaks in the windows based computers without getting the consent of the user, and perform several unwanted activities. This malicious application is considered as the most lethal adware infections of recent times that trap the users by showing the attractive advertisement. This malicious application can attack the windows based computers while using the removable devices, spam emails, and unsafe browsing. Once this nasty adware settles down in the system, it start showing countless pop-up messages on the screen of the system which do not allow you to surf freely on the web. It modify the system settings including the home page, desktop background, and default search engine without your permission, and start eating a large portion of the system resources which degrades the performance of the PC. Apart from that, the PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A monitors your browsing activities, show targeted pop-up ads, and steal your personal financial details which is being used in the cyber crimes, and financial frauds.
Removal of PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A
The PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A is an extremely serious threat for the overall security of the system, and required to be removed as quickly as possible. There are both automatic as well as the manual removal methods are available in this regard. The automatic removal method is easy, as well as convinint for the novice users; whereas, the manual removal is a bit hard that is only recommended for the experienced users. The instructions for manual removal of this virus are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all you have to start the system in the safe mode so that you can access the important system utilities like task manager, and registry editor. In this regard, restart the computer, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot option while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option from the list, and strike the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background of the system. Delete the following corrupt processes associated with this infection by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You are required to remove the unwanted entries from the windows registry to complete the manual removal process. Open the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box. You have to delete the following entries associated with PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A\DisplayName PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A
Restart the machine in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see the success or failure of the manual removal process. Do not forget to run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus.