The PUP.Optional.Elex is another computer virus discovered recently, and categorized as an adware. In most cases, this malicious application is bundled with the freeware that often users download from the unauthenticated websites. This adware try to hack your computer in two different ways. The first method it used is it remains resident in the system without letting you know, and keep collecting the confidential details such as credit card numbers, passwords, and browsing preferences. The second method used by the PUP.Optional.Elex infection is, changes the security settings including the windows firewall to provide the remote access of the system to the hackers so that they can steal your information directly. It also uses the fake scans to trap the users by threatening them that their computer is at high risk. Once installed, the PUP.Optional.Elex displays countless numbers of annoying pop-up ads on the screen of your PC due to which you are unable to perform anything.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.Elex
Once you detect the PUP.Optional.Elex virus inside your PC, you have to get rid of this infection completely so that it will not harm your data. You can delete this adware from the system by choosing any reliable automatic removal tool. Besides that, the manual removal process is also available which is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must start the system in the safe mode after terminating the normal mode of operation. Restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access the boot options menu. Choose the safe mode option from the boot options menu, and press the Enter key to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system started in the safe mode, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager. Once the task manager is accessed, select the Processes tab where you can see all the processes running in your PC. Delete the following processes associated with the PUP.Optional.Elex adware infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, access the system files folder, and remove the following malicious files associated with the PUP.Optional.Elex virus by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you need to remove the modifications made by this infection in the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the “regedit.exe” command through Run option available in the Start menu. Delete the following associated entries of the PUP.Optional.Elex adware program by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Elex\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Elex\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Elex\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.Elex\DisplayName PUP.Optional.Elex
Close the registry editor, and reboot the infected system in the normal mode to see the result of the manual removal process. Run a complete system scan after updating the current antivirus software to remove the infections created by this infection.