The PUP.Optional.4Squared is a recently discovered computer virus that is considered as a real threat for the system resources and the data privacy. This malicious application downloaded on the computer when you try to download a freeware or a video file from any un-trusted website. After getting itself installed secretly, the PUP.Optional.4Squared starts performing a number of malicious activities inside the system. This dangerous computer worm can badly damage your system files, and creates corrupt entries in the windows registry to disturb the normal routine performance of your computer. To avoid this infection you must choose the custom installation while downloading anything so that you can uncheck the programs that you do not want in your PC. The PUP.Optional.4Squared virus also blocks your access to the security related websites, and you are unable to access many of the daily use system utilities like task manager and registry editor.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Optional.4Squared
After getting infected by the PUP.Optional.4Squared virus, you have to find a way that can lead you the safe removal of this infection. There are two methods available to remove this virus completely and you have to select one according to your capabilities. If you are a new user, you must select the automatic removal method, and for the experienced users, we recommend the manual removal method that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must boot the system in the safe mode before going through the complicated steps of the manual removal. Restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the list of options. Once you can see the list of boot options on your screen, select the Safe Mode and press the Enter key to start the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
After booting the system in the safe mode, you need to open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Select the processes tab in the task manager window where you can see a list of running processes in the computer. You have to delete the following associated processes of the PUP.Optional.4Squared infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder and remove the following suspicious files associated with the PUP.Optional.4Squared virus:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to clean the windows registry by removing the suspicious entries. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type regedit in the box before pressing the OK button. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following suspicious entries associated with the PUP.Optional.4Squared:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.4Squared\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.4Squared\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.4Squared\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Optional.4Squared\DisplayName PUP.Optional.4Squared
Close the registry editor, and restart the system in the normal mode to see the success of this process. Update your existing antivirus software before running a complete system scan on your PC.