The PUP.Installrex is a severe computer infection that can damage your PC and data in many different ways. The PUP.Installrex sneaks in the windows platforms without providing sufficient knowledge to the users, and modify the system completely. All the default internet settings including the DNS settings, system files, browser settings, and search engine settings are modified once this malicious application enters in your PC. You are unable to access any of your data file or application program. The PUP.Installrex infection is a tool for the hackers to generate traffic on the low ranked by using the deceptive tactics. This malicious application is popular among the hackers who want to earn money through Pay per Click programs. The virus can replicate itself easily to infect the other computers available on the same network. You cannot see the icons of crucial programs on your PC, and all your searching efforts will be redirected towards unwanted and undesired websites where you can get additional infections. The main purpose of developing and distributing the PUP.Installrex virus is to steal the money of the targeted users by accessing their personal confidential information.
The Manual Removal of PUP.Installrex
Once it becomes clear that the system is infected by the PUP.Installrex virus, you have to find a way to get rid of this parasite. You can remove this virus manually, but it is extremely difficult for the basic level computer users. The instructions for the manual removal method are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal of the PUP.Installrex virus, you have to boot the system in the safe mode. Press the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access the list of boot options. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the safe mode option from the available list and hit the Enter key to reboot the infected system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and when you are able to see the task manager window, click on the processes tab to see the list of the processes running in the background. Kill the following associated processes of the PUP.Installrex:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After removing the associated processes successfully, it is time to remove the following files associated with this virus:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to click on the Start Menu, select the Run option, and type RegEdit in the box before pressing the OK button to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you must remove the following modifications created by this Trojan virus, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Installrex\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Installrex\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Installrex\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.Installrex\DisplayName PUP.Installrex
Reboot the computer in the normal mode to see the effect of the manual removal process. Run a full system scan through any updated antivirus software.