The PUP.GoforFiles is recently developed adware infection, that is designed, and distributed by the cyber crooks to gain the illegal financial benefits. The basic purpose behind the development of this advanced level adware program is to access the personal financial details of the user, and steal their money by using these highly confidential details. Once installed, it starts showing the fake pop-up alerts regarding rogue applications, and force you to install these fake programs. This nasty adware often invades the computer while opening the spam emails, using corrupt removable devices, unsafe browsing, and freeware downloads. In order to gain the complete control of the infected PC, it changes the default settings on your computer, and after modifying the security settings along with the windows firewall, it allows the additional threats to enter in the computer. Besides that, it also blocks the IP address of your system to deny your access to many of the important sites, and also blocks your access towards important system utilities.
Removal of PUP.GoforFiles
After discovering the PUP.GoforFiles adware infection on the system, it is time to think how to get rid of this malicious application in quick time. For the new users, there are a number of automatic tools available in this regard; however, for the professional users, the manual removal method is also available which is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the steps of the manual removal, it is compulsory to boot the computer in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to open the boot options menu. You have to select the safe mode option from the list, and hit the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step of the manual removal, you have to access the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Click on the Processes tab in the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background of your system. You must remove the following suspicious processes from the list before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following suspicious files with the help of the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last but not least, reverse the unwanted modifications performed by this malicious application in the windows registry. Open the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box. With the help of registry editor, you have to remove the following entries associated with this adware before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.GoforFiles\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.GoforFiles\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.GoforFiles\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUP.GoforFiles\DisplayName PUP.GoforFiles
Once all of the above steps completed successfully, now you need to check the effectiveness of the manual removal process by rebooting the system in the normal mode.