The PUP.FCTPlugin is a dangerous application that works like a rootkit, and sneaks in the windows based system without the consent of the user. Once installed, it can cause huge damage to your hardware as well as data stored in the infected system. The PUP.FCTPlugin immediately creates the startup key in the windows registry after getting itself installed. Once installed, this malicious application can create backdoor for other similar threats, and make your system vulnerable for other threats. The hackers use this malware as a tool to steal the confidential information of the users, and make money by illegal means. This dangerous virus has the ability to utilize the system resources, and cause slowdowns in the speed of browsing.
The Manual Removal of PUP.FCTPlugin
Once your computer is compromised to the PUP.FCTPlugin, it is wise that you should select any automatic removal tool to get rid of this threat; however, the manual removal of this virus is also possible. Following are the instructions to remove the PUP.FCTPlugin manually:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
First of all, you are required to restart the infected computer in the safe mode. In this regard you have to access the boot options by using the F8 key while the system is restarting. From the list of boot options, you have to select the safe mode and press Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
Delete the Processes Through Windows Task Manager
Once the system starts working in the safe mode, you have to remove the corrupt processes created by this virus. This can be done by accessing the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. Once the task manager is accessed, you have to select the processes tab, where you can see all the running processes, and end the following processes with the help of End Process button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
After removing the malicious processes, you have to get rid of the files and folders associated with the PUP.FCTPlugin. In this regard, you have to open the file explorer, and locate the following files before removing them with the help of Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\DealDropDown .lnk
- %Programs%\DealDropDown \DealDropDown .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To clean the windows registry you have to open the registry editor with the help of RegEdit command that can be executed through Run option available in the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to find and delete the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \DisplayName DealDropDown
When all the above mentioned steps are completed successfully, start the infected computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see the effectiveness of these actions. Update the existing antivirus program, and run a complete system scan.