If you have the latest version of any reliable antivirus program, you may be able to detect this malicious application, but cannot remove this virus completely. Even if you have removed it, it remains in the system, and can be able to build again. The PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl is able to change its name as well as location frequently which makes it hard for the antivirus to remove this virus completely. Once installed, this tricky Trojan virus can bring additional malware to the infected machine, and reduces the speed of the system in a way that the user may not be able to perform daily routine tasks.
The Manual Removal of PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl
When the PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl enters in any windows based system, you need to delete this tricky Trojan application as soon as possible. This can be done with the help of automatic removal tools that are easily available online. However, if you like to remove this infection manually, you can try the manual removal method as described below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
First you need to reboot the system in order to terminate the normal mode, while the system is in the process of restartsing, you have to press the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Once the boot options appear on the screen, you just need to select the safe mode, and press the “Enter” key to restart your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
After restarting your system in the safe mode, you need to remove the corrupt processes associated with this malicious Trojan application. In this regard, open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Click on the processes tab when the task manager window is accessed, and remove the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You also have to remove the malicious files related to this application. Following are some of the suspicious files that are required to be deleted.
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this process is the removal of the malicious entries modified in the windows registry by the PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl. Execute the “RegEdit” command through “Run” option available in the “Start Menu” to start the registry editor. Remove the following associated entries once you are able to access the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl\DisplayName PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl
After successful removal of these malicious entries, close the registry editor, and restart the machine in the normal mode to see the infection is removed successfully or otherwise. Run a system scan after updating the current antivirus program to remove the infections.
Disclaimer: Altering your windows registry items and other computer files should only be attempted by knowledgeable computer users. Errors in registry items may lead to some technical problems affecting other aspects of your machine. We advise you to attempt all these manual steps at your own risk, or else it is better use the Automatic PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl Tool.
This is most safe and easy method. Download PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl Removal Tool to automatically remove PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl.
If you need any technical assistance in removing the PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl,do submit your comments to get clarified.