The Public8media.com popup is a malicious application categorized as a browser hijacker, and designed to hamper the online performance of windows based platforms. This dangerous browser hijacker can infect all the versions of the windows operating system including the Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. Besides that, the Public8media.com popup also accompanies with keyloggers that are used to steal the confidential details of the user such as credit card numbers, and passwords. You can see the modifications in your system including the windows registry, home page, browser settings, and security settings. This lethal browser hijacker also changes the windows firewall after disabling the antivirus software to invite additional threats inside the infected PC. The main tool of the hackers to spread the Public8media.com popup virus is through online movies, and downloading highly demanded software programs from an unauthenticated source.
The Manual Removal of Public8media.com popup
After knowing that the system is compromised to the Public8media.com popup virus, you need to find a way to delete this virus quickly so that the loss can be minimized. There are automatic removal methods available through which you can remove this browser hijacker quickly and conveniently. The manual removal process is also available but only recommended for the advanced users. Following are the detailed instructions for manual removal of the Public8media.com popup infection:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the PC and use the F8 key while the system is being restarted to open the boot options menu. Once the boot options are visible on the screen of your computer, you have to select the safe mode option from the list and press the Enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You are required to end the malicious processes associated with this virus. Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager window is accessed, click on the process tab where you can see the list of processes running in the background. Remove the following associated processes of this malicious application before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the following associated data of the Public8media.com popup virus that is hidden along with sensitive system files:-
- %Desktopdir%\Public8media.com popup.lnk
- %Programs%\Public8media.com popup\Public8media.com popup.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last and most crucial step of the manual removal process is removing the alterations made by the Public8media.com popup virus in the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit.exe command through the Run option available in the start menu. Remove the following suspicious entries through registry editor and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public8media.com popup\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public8media.com popup
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public8media.com popup\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public8media.com popup\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public8media.com popup\DisplayName Public8media.com popup
Restart the machine in the normal mode to check the effectiveness of the manual removal process.