The Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads is a malicious application that is categorized as a browser hijacker. Once this nasty infection enters in the system, it modifies the default browser settings, and divert all your online searches towards unfamiliar websites. After attacking the targeted PC, the Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads create a browser extension on your default browser, and use this tool to promote the affiliate sites, generate traffic, and make commissions. You will receive poo-up ads on your screen in the bulk quantity, and it also modifies the home page, as well as default search provider. You are unable to surf on the web freely because of this malicious application, and it also opens the backdoor for the additional threats by changing the security settings in the infected machine.
Removal of Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads
After confirming the presence of the Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads virus, you have to take some immediate steps to get rid of this lethal infection. For the basic level computer users, we recommend the automatic method; however, the manual removal method is also available for the experienced users which consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the complicated steps of the manual removal process, it is unavoidable to boot the system in the safe mode. In this regard, you have to terminate the normal mode by restarting the computer, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option from the list of options, and hit the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed, open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. In the task manager window you have to click on the Processes tab, where you can see the list of processes running in the background of your computer. You have to remove the following suspicious processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of corrupt processes, open the system files folder, and remove the following suspicious files associated with the Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads infection by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, do not forget to reverse the modifications made by this virus in the windows registry. Click on the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box to access the registry editor. Get rid of the following corrupt entries associated with this nasty infection before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads\DisplayName Promos.McAfee.com pop-up Ads
Restart the system in the normal mode to evaluate the success of the manual removal efforts. Run a complete system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus program.