The PrivacyCut is a malicious application that belongs from the rogue family of viruses, and present itself as a legitimate antivirus program that encourage users to buy the licensed version of this so called antivirus software. This dangerous rogue virus can infect your PC while visiting the unsafe websites or downloading freeware from the unknown providers. Once installed, it works like a fake scanner and perform a fake scan on your system and shows that there are a number of errors available on the system that are needed to be fixed. You are asked to buy their paid version to remove these errors but this is actually a trap. Every time you start your computer this fake scan automatically started, and it always shows that your PC is at high risk. Once installed, the PrivacyCut makes your computer very slow in responding. When you try to remove this virus with traditional methods, you cannot access many of your important utilities due to which it is impossible to detect or remove this malicious application through your antivirus program.
The Manual Removal of PrivacyCut
There are a number of automatic tools available to remove the PrivacyCut, and you can also remove this virus manually. Both methods have their own advantages and disadvantages. The manual removal is very difficult yet possible, and consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Reboot the system and use the F8 key while the computer is rebooting to access the boot options. Once you are able to see the list of boot options on your screen you have to select the safe mode and hit the enter key to start your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
The next step of this process is killing the associated processes of the PrivacyCut. You have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, click the processes tab and remove the following malicious processes associated with this malicious application:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the file explorer, proceed to the system files folder and remove the following files by using the Delete key :-
- %Desktopdir%\PrivacyCut Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\PrivacyCut Virus\PrivacyCut Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
After completing the above mentioned steps you need to clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries related to this rogue virus. You have to access the registry editor through RegEdit command that can be run through the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed you can easily remove the following suspicious entries before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PrivacyCut Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PrivacyCut Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PrivacyCut Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PrivacyCut Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PrivacyCut Virus\DisplayName PrivacyCut Virus
In order to see the success of manual removal process, you have to restart the computer once again in the normal mode. Update the existing antivirus software and run a complete system scan on your PC.