The PowerLocker is another variation of recently distributed ransomware infections that are specifically designed to attack the computers using windows operating system. Once this malicious application slips inside the system, it locks your computer completely, and ask you to pay a ransom in order to unlock the system. This dangerous ransomware is distributed through spam emails, hacked web pages, free download offers, and infected removable storage devices. Once this application entered in the system, it blocks your access to your normal desktop, and you are only able to see a full screen message which reveals that you are involved in an illegal online activity due to which you have to pay a certain amount fine to unlock your system. However, this is a totally fake message which is aimed to trap the user, and steal their money. Your system will never unlock even after you pay the ransom, instead, you will also lose your personal details that you transfer to the hackers while paying the fine.
Removal of PowerLocker
After knowing that the system is compromised to the PowerLocker ransomware, you have to think how to remove this dangerous application. The automatic removal of this infection is the easiest of methods to get rid of this virus. The manual removal of the PowerLocker is also possible, but complicated, and only recommended for the advanced level users. The instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal process, you have to boot the system in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option from the boot options menu, before pressing the enter key to access the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background. Kill the following associated processes of this malicious application, before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to find as well as remove the following corrupt files associated with the PowerLocker from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\PowerLocker Ransomware.lnk
- %Programs%\PowerLocker Ransomware\PowerLocker Ransomware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Finally, you are required to remove the modifications created by this virus in the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command through the Run option on the Start Menu. When you are able to access the registry editor, remove the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerLocker Ransomware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerLocker Ransomware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerLocker Ransomware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerLocker Ransomware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerLocker Ransomware\DisplayName PowerLocker Ransomware
Reboot the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor, and run a complete system scan through an updated antivirus program.