The PowerGamesBar Toolbar is a malicious toolbar infection that always installed as a browser plugin, and performs several harmful activities. The PowerGamesBar Toolbar always presents itself as a useful toolbar to deceive the innocent computer users. Once installed on your browser, it starts annoying you by showing countless pop-up messages on the screen while surfing on the web. The PowerGamesBar Toolbar can be installed on browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari. It also redirects your searches towards phishing websites where you are encouraged to buy rogue applications. Moreover, it is capable of stealing your highly confidential financial details without your knowledge, and then use such valuable details in the online frauds to steal your money. It also creates other complicated system issues like screen freezes, and system crashes more frequently. You will also notice that a tremendous decrease occurs in the overall performance of the system.
Removal of PowerGamesBar Toolbar
Once it is confirmed that the PowerGamesBar Toolbar is present inside the system, you have to do nothing but remove this malicious toolbar without wasting a single minute. There are some good automatic tools available that are extremely effective, and always gives quick results. The manual removal method is a bit complicated for the novice computer users. The instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You have to open the system in the safe mode before proceeding with the manual removal method. Restart the computer, and access the boot options screen by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Hit the Enter key after selecting the safe mode option from the list of options.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode on the infected PC, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager, and select the Processes tab where you can see all the processes running in the background of your system. You just have to end the following corrupt processes, before closing the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, proceed with the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the PowerGamesBar Toolbar:-
- %Desktopdir%\PowerGamesBar Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\PowerGamesBar Toolbar\PowerGamesBar Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Normalize the windows registry so that the manual removal process can be completed. In this regard, access the registry editor through the Run option on the Start Menu, and type “regedit” in the box before pressing the “OK” button. Eliminate the following associated entries of the PowerGamesBar Toolbar, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerGamesBar Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerGamesBar Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerGamesBar Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerGamesBar Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PowerGamesBar Toolbar\DisplayName PowerGamesBar Toolbar
To check the availability of this toolbar infection, you have to reboot the system in the normal mode, and open your browser window. Select the complete system scan through an updated version of your existing antivirus.