The PosibilityNow.comis an annoying browser hijacker infection that can infect all the major browsers, including the Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Once this nasty infection attacks the windows based computers, it starts displaying the pop-up alerts on the screen which do not allow you to surf on the web freely. Mostly these pop-ups are fake security alerts that are used by the hackers to threaten you, and achieve their ill motives. The cyber crooks use PosibilityNow.com as an advertising platform to promote the affiliate sites, and third party products, and gain the commercial benefits. It changes most of the system settings on the infected machine without your consent, and allows other parasites to enter in the system. Apart for that, this malicious application also records your online activities, and accesses your highly sensitive personal details including the financial details. All such information is then used by these criminals in the cyber frauds to steal your money.
Removal of PosibilityNow.com
Once you are able to notice the above mentioned symptoms on your system, you have to confirm the presence of the PosibilityNow.com virus, and take some immediate steps to delete this virus from your computer. You have got two choices in this regard, manual removal, and automatic tools. The manual removal method consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You have to boot the computer in the safe mode so that you can access some important system utilities that are necessary for the manual removal process. In this regard, restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the screen where you can see different boot options. Select the safe mode option before pressing the Enter key to start the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
By remaining in the safe mode, you have to access the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the windows task manager is accessed, click on the Processes tab to see the list of processes. Kill the following suspicious processes associated with this browser hijacker, and close the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the following malicious files along with their folders from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up.lnk
- %Programs%\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last and most important step of this whole process is cleaning of the windows registry. Click on the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box to access the registry editor. Remove the following corrupt entries associated with this nasty infection before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PosibilityNow.com Pop-up\DisplayName PosibilityNow.com Pop-up
You have to restart the computer in the normal mode to check the success of the manual removal efforts. Run a complete system scan after updating the current antivirus software.