The PortaldoSites Search is a dangerous browser hijacker that is used to infect the windows based computers. It has the ability to hijack all the major browsers, and spread through the freeware, spam email attachments, and social media links. Once installed, it starts modifying your windows registry, and gradually removes your important system files. Besides that, the PortaldoSites Search also changes your homepage, default browser, and default search engine. This malicious browser hijacker is capable of running pop-up ads on the screen of the infected computers to promote a number of products. The hackers use this browser hijacker as a tool to make money by illegal means. Once this virus enters in the system, it will start affecting the performance of the system negatively.
The Manual Removal of PortaldoSites Search
Once it is confirmed that your system is compromised to the PortaldoSites Search, you have to delete this deadly dangerous browser hijacker immediately. You can get rid of this virus either with the help of any reliable automatic software or by using the manual removal method. The manual removal of this virus is also possible, but not easy. The instructions for manual removal are as under:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
Restart the system, and use F8 key to access the boot option menu. You have to select the safe mode option from the list appeared in the boot menu, and hit the Enter key to start the machine in the safe mode.
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
To remove the PortaldoSites Search manually, you have to kill the malicious processes associated with the PortaldoSites Search. In this regard, you have to access the task manager window by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and select the Processes tab. Under this tab you can see a list of processes that are running in the background. You have to find and delete the following processes from the list:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
You have to find and remove the files that are suspicious, and associated with this threat. In this regard, following are a few names of files that are required to be deleted:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
After completing all the steps as per above mentioned instructions, you need to proceed to the next step of this complicated process. It is important to clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries created by this dangerous browser hijacker. You have to open the start menu, select Run option, and type RegEdit to start the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to find and delete the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PortaldoSites.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PortaldoSites.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PortaldoSites.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PortaldoSites.com\DisplayName PortaldoSites.com
Restart the system in the normal mode to evaluate the success of the manual removal method, and update the existing antivirus software.