The Phase Bot is a recently developed and distributed computer infection that is classified as a rootkit Trojan virus. This malicious application use different mediums to attack the targeted computers such as spam emails, shareware, compromised web links, and removable storage devices. Once this dangerous Trojan makes it ways in the computer, it replaces itself wisely deep in the system files folder. It can causes severe damage to your system resources and important information stored on the system. It is capable of changing the privacy settings of your computer to open a backdoor for the additional parasites. You will notice some uncontrollable toolbars are added on your browser window, and some unknown icons are created on your desktop. It has the ability to recod your browsing history, and track your personal credentials. The Phase Bot Trojan can make your system super slow, and most of your important programs become un-responsible.
Removal ofPhase Bot
After getting infected from the Phase Bot, your goal must be to remove this malicious application at your earliest. You have to remove this infection in a way that it will never return to the system, and in this regard, you can take help from any powerful automatic removal tool. There is a manual removal method also available in this regard which is mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before proceeding to the manual removal process, you have to access the computer in the safe mode. Restart the infected machine, and access the boot choices by using the F8 key. Select the safe mode through arrow keys to get the access of the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You are required to remove the associated processes of this dangerous Trojan. In this regard, you need to open the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and select the processes tab in the task manager window. Remove the following malicious processes associated with this infection before closing the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to find as well as remove the following files from the system files folder in the next step of the manual removal process:-
- %Desktopdir%\Phase Bot.lnk
- %Programs%\Phase Bot \Phase Bot.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The manual removal process cannot be considered complete unless you clean the windows registry. Open the registry editor by running the RegEdit command in the Start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following associated entries of the Phase Bot:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Phase Bot\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Phase Bot
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Phase Bot \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Phase Bot \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Phase Bot\DisplayNamePhase Bot
Restart the computer in the normal mode of operation, and if the virus is removed successfully, you have to run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program in order to remove any infections caused by the Phase Bot.