Once installed, this stubborn virus modifies the critical settings of your system, registry entries, data files, and critical system files. Whenever you try to open a website, you will be redirected towards unknown web pages. Besides that, the Packed.genric.420 make your computer vulnerable by changing the security settings. You will also see that your home page, desktop background, and task manager is changed without your permission. Besides hiding itself wisely to avoid the latest version of any reliable antivirus program, this malicious application has the ability to replicate itself.
The Manual Removal of Packed.genric.420
Once your system becomes a victim of the Packed.genric.420, you need to remove it by using any effective method. You can remove this virus manually as well as automatically. Remember that the manual removal method is extremely hard for the novice and basic level users. The manual removal process is detailed below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
The first step in this process is to reboot the system. While the infected computer restarts, you have to use the F8 key to see the boot options where you have to select the safe mode and hit the Enter key to restart your system in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once the system starts operating in the safe mode, you have to remove the malicious processes associated with this infection. Open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, choose the processes tab where you can see the list of running processes on your computer. You are required to remove the following processes from the list quickly:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the file explorer, and navigate towards the system files folder to delete the following malicious files associated with this virus:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Do not forget to reverse the modification made by the Packed.genric.420 in the windows registry by using the registry editor. The registry editor can be accessed easily with the help of “RegEdit” command that can be executed through “Run” option available in the start menu. Once you are able to access the registry editor, you have to delete the following suspicious entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Packed.genric.420\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Packed.genric.420\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Packed.genric.420\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Packed.genric.420\DisplayName Packed.genric.420
Restart your PC in the normal mode to see the effect of changes you have made recently. Update your existing anti virus program to run a system scan on the PC.