The Newtab virus is a malicious application belongs to the adware family of viruses, and sneaks in the windows based systems without getting consent from the users. Once installed, the Newtab virus starts displaying the annoying pop-up ads on the screen of your system, and you are unable to perform any task. Most of these ads are about discounted coupon, and other commercial purposes, and the objective of these ads is to generate the traffic on the low ranked websites. Besides that, the Newtab virus also displays a fake security alert shows that your system is at high risk. After installing itself, this malicious virus disables your antivirus program, and changes the windows firewall to bring additional threats to the system. This virus is capable of stealing your personal information including the passwords, credit card details, and browsing history.
The Manual Removal of Newtab virus
Once it becomes obvious that your computer is compromised to the Newtab virus, you have to take some immediate steps to get rid of this adware. You can do this with the help of any reliable automatic tool within a few seconds. However, there is a manual removal method available which is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all you have to terminate the normal mode of operation, and start the PC in the safe mode. Just restart the infected system and access the boot options screen by using the F8 key repeatedly. Select the safe mode option before hitting the enter key to start the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system start working in the safe mode, you have to delete the processes associated to this virus with the help of windows task manager. Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together and click on the processes tab where you can see the list of processes. You have to delete the following associated processes quickly:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step of this complicated process is removal of the associated data. Open the system files folder, and delete the following suspicious files :-
- %Desktopdir%\Newtab virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Newtab virus\Newtab virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In order to complete the manual removal process, you have to reverse the modification made by this infection in the windows registry. You can access the registry editor by opening the start menu, select Run option, and write RegEdit.exe in the box. Once the registry editor is visible on the screen, delete the following suspicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Newtab virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Newtab virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Newtab virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Newtab virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Newtab virus\DisplayName Newtab virus
Reboot the computer in the normal mode to see the effectiveness of manual removal process after closing the registry editor. Run a complete system scan on the PC through an updated version of your current antivirus program.