The New Zealand E-Crime Lab is another type of ransomware infection that has recently infected thousands of computers in the New Zealand. The cyber criminals and hackers use this extremely tricky ransomware to persuade the innocent computer users by threatening them. This malicious application is just another example of unethical social engineering in which the system is blocked completely by saying that the user is involved in a criminal activity such as child pornography or copyright violation. To unlock the system, you will be asked to pay a fine which normally amounts $200. Mostly they use the Ukash method to pay the fine; however sometimes these cyber crooks also use the Paysafecard voucher service to get the cash from the innocent users.
The Manual Removal of New Zealand E-Crime Lab
After getting infected from the New Zealand E-Crime Lab infection you have to think how to get rid of this deadly dangerous ransomware. You can do this either by choosing any automatic removal tool or by following the complicated instructions of the manual removal process. The instructions for the manual removal of this ransomware are detailed below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before deleting anything you have to shift the operation mode from normal to safe mode. Restart the machine, by pressing the F8 key repeatedly to access to the boot options menu. Select the safe mode and press the Enter key to change the mode of operation of your computer.
Kill the Associated Processes
In order to access the windows task manager you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once you are able to access the task manager, you have to click the Processes tab to see the list of the running processes. You have to locate as well as remove the following processes associated to the New Zealand E-Crime Lab infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
The manual removal of this malicious ransomware cannot be completed unless you do not remove the following files from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware.lnk
- %Programs%\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Access the registry editor by selecting the start menu, choosing the Run option, and write “RegEdit” before pressing the Enter key. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following corrupt entries from the windows registry to clean the registry section of your operating system:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware\DisplayName New Zealand E-Crime Lab Ransomware
Close the registry editor to restart the system in the normal mode and see whether the infection is removed successfully or otherwise. Run a complete the system scan after updating the antivirus program to delete any infections.