The Mypoints.com is a nasty computer virus that is categorized as an adware infection, and attacks the selected computer users secretly. The Mypoints.com infection spreads through the spam emails, visiting porn websites, downloading freeware, and using corrupt removable devices. This is a tool for the hackers to run commercial ads on the targeted computers without getting the consent of the user. This malicious application immediately after entering in the system starts collecting your personal financial details. These details may include your browsing trends, shopping preferences, credit card numbers, payment modes, and your interests. You will receive the targeted ads by keeping in view your information. The performance of the system affected badly because of this lethal adware, and you will experience the regular freezes and browser crashes once this infection starts performing its harmful activities. Besides modifying your windows registry by adding the malicious startup keys, the Mypoints.com also provide remote access to the hackers so that they can collect whatever data they want from your PC.
The Manual Removal of Mypoints.com
Once your PC is under attack by the Mypoints.com adware infection, you have no choice but find a powerful method to delete this infection completely. You have to remove this nasty adware either through any powerful automatic tool, or by following the instructions of the manual removal. The steps involved in the manual removal are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal process of the Mypoints.com infection starts when you boot the computer in the safe mode. Simply restart the PC to terminate the normal mode of operation, and press the F8 key repeatedly to get the access of the boot options menu. Once you can see the list of boot options, you have to select the Safe Mode option and hit the Enter key to start the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
You are required to access the windows task manager, and after accessing the task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, you have to click on the processes tab in that window, and remove the following associated processes of the Mypoints.com virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to delete the following associated files of this lethal adware virus with the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Mypoints.com Adware.lnk
- %Programs%\Mypoints.com Adware\Mypoints.com Adware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You must clean the corrupt entries from the windows registry in order to complete the manual removal process. In this regard, you have to open the star menu, select Run, and type Regedit in the box to access the registry editor. Remove the following associated entries of the Mypoints.com virus before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Mypoints.com Adware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Mypoints.com Adware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Mypoints.com Adware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Mypoints.com Adware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Mypoints.com Adware\DisplayName Mypoints.com Adware
Once the Mypoints.com infection is removed successfully, you have to update your existing antivirus before running a complete system scan on the system.