The Metropolitan British Police virus is just a new variation of the series of police ransomware infections that uses the names of different Police departments of the world. This malicious application has infected thousands of computers in the Great Britain in the recent past. Once entered in the system, the Metropolitan British Police ransomware locks the system and you are unable to access your normal desktop. Whenever you try to open your system, you can only see a message in which you are asked to pay $200 fine to unlock the PC, and it the message is designed in a way that it is asked by Metropolitan British Police. However, this is a fake alert that is actually designed by the cyber crooks to steal your precious money along with the confidential financial data.
The Manual Removal of Metropolitan British Police
After getting infected by the Metropolitan British Police ransomware infection, you have to select an effective method to get rid of this virus in a way that it will never return to your computer. You have to make a choice between automatic removal or manual removal of this virus; however, keep in mind that automatic removal is easier, and the manual removal is only recommended to the advanced level users because of its complexity:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before start removing the Metropolitan British Police infection manually, you have to boot the system in the safe mode as you cannot access any of the system utilities in the normal mode of operation. You have to restart the system, use the F8 key to access the options regarding booting, and select the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step of the manual removal process, you have to remove the following suspicious files hidden in the system files folder by using the Delete key, and once the task manager is visible, you have to select the Processes tab. Remove the following processes from the list before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the associated files along with their folders. Following are some of the suspicious files that you have to remove from the system files folder
- %Desktopdir%\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware.lnk
- %Programs%\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The last step of this process is cleaning the windows registry by removing the unwanted entries created by this ransomware infection. You have to access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command through Run option in the Start menu. Delete the following entries once you are able to access the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Metropolitan British Police Ransomware\DisplayName Metropolitan British Police Ransomware
Close the registry editor and restart the PC in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal process.