The Messenger Plus Toolbar is another variation of the malicious computer viruses that is classified as a browser hijacker, and attacks the system without providing the prior information to the user. Once installed, the Messenger Plus Toolbar modify the home page, preferred search engine, preferred browser, and desktop background without the permission of the user. After changing the default settings of your browser, it starts diverting your searches towards strange websites where you can easily get infected from other parasites. This malicious application distributed through spam email campaigns, unknown social media links, visiting porn websites, and using the corrupt removable devices. The Messenger Plus Toolbar is not only used as a tool to display thousands of pop-up ads, but it also consumes a huge portion of your system resources that causes slowdown. Besides that, this browser hijacker disables your antivirus to avoid any detection effort.
The Manual Removal of Messenger Plus Toolbar
After founding this lethal browser hijacker inside your hard drive, you have to remove it either automatically, or manually. The Messenger Plus Toolbar can be removed manually, but keep in mind that the manual removal is not an easy task. The instructions and steps involved in the manual removal of this browser hijacker are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You need to start the PC in the safe mode instead of normal mode. To do this, you have to restart the system, and access the boot options menu by using the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once you can see the boot choices, select the safe mode choice with arrow key, and press the Enter to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and select the Process tab to see the list of processes running in the background. You need to remove the following associated processes of the Messenger Plus Toolbar from that list by using the End Process button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to remove the following associated files of the Messenger Plus Toolbar browser hijacker from the system files folder through the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Messenger Plus Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Messenger Plus Toolbar\Messenger Plus Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open on the star menu, select Run option, and type Regedit in the box to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following associated entries of the Messenger Plus Toolbar and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Messenger Plus Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Messenger Plus Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Messenger Plus Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Messenger Plus Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Messenger Plus Toolbar\DisplayName Messenger Plus Toolbar
Restart the system once again in the normal mode, and also update the existing antivirus to run the complete scan on the computer and get rid of the infections caused by this virus.