The MegaSearch is a dangerous computer virus that victimized the thousands of the windows based computers without notifying the users or showing any symptoms. This malicious application often bundled with third party applications, besides that, sometimes users downloads this infection manually without knowing that this is a computer virus. Once this dangerous virus sneaks in the system, it will modify most of your internet settings including the home page, default search engine, and default browser. Your default search engine will be the Search. MegaSearch. The notorious cyber criminals use this weapon as a way to earn commissions through affiliate sales. The MegaSearch virus display annoying pop-up ads to promote low quality products, and generate traffic on the low ranked websites. Besides that, the speed of the system along with overall performance degrades considerably. This malicious application is capable of grabbing your personal financial information like credit card details and passwords to steal your money.
The Manual Removal of MegaSearch
Once this infection found in the hard drive of your system, you have to plan the removal efforts according to your capabilities. There are both manual and automatic methods of removal available to delete the MegaSearch virus. The instructions for the manual removal of this virus are detailed below that you need to follow as it is described:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the complicated manual removal process you need to boot the system in the safe mode. Reboot the computer, and access the boot options menu by using the F8 key. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the Safe Mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key which starts the PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the next step of this process, you have to delete the malicious processes of this virus associated with the MegaSearch. You have to open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab, to remove the following associated processes of this infection:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder through file explorer, and delete the following associated files of the MegaSearch infection by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\MegaSearch virus.lnk
- %Programs%\MegaSearch virus\MegaSearch virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry by removing the startup keys and other malicious entries added by the MegaSearch virus. Access the registry editor by selecting the Run option available in the Start menu, and type regedit before pressing the enter key. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following associated entries of the MegaSearch virus:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MegaSearch virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MegaSearch virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MegaSearch virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MegaSearch virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MegaSearch virus\DisplayName MegaSearch virus
Reboot the machine in the normal mode, and if the virus is removed successfully, you have to update your antivirus software, and run a complete system scan to before start using the PC.