The MediaGet Trojan is a malicious Trojan infection that comes under the category of redirect viruses. Once installed, it frequently redirects all your searches towards the MediaGet a website. Once installed, it immediately modifies the DNS settings, default browser, home page, and desktop background of your computer. This malicious Trojan can infect most of the leading browsers that include Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. You are unable to perform any kind of browsing or online searches as every time you try to search it will redirect you towards the home page of the MediaGet website. This dangerous Trojan infection disables your antivirus program along with other security tools due to which the backdoor for additional viruses opens. This malicious application spreads through shareware, freeware, junk mail attachments, and visiting compromised web pages. Once it enters in the system, it will start eating all your resources and resultantly you are unable to perform any kind tasks on your computer.
The Manual Removal of MediaGet Trojan
Once this threat is detected in the system, you have to remove this Trojan infection quickly. If you are a professional level user, we recommend you the manual removal method, but for the basic level users, the automatic removal method is more suitable. The manual removal method instructions are detailed below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Reboot the machine to terminate the normal mode,and while the system is being restarted, you have to press the F8 button to open the list of boot options. Select the safe mode option from that list and press enter button.
Kill the Associated Processes
When the computer starts working in the safe mode, you have to delete the malicious processes added by this virus. In this regard you have to access the running processes on your computer by starting the task manager which can be accessed by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager accessed, you have to click on the processes tab and delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You have to locate as well as delete the following suspicious files from the system files folder of your computer
- %Desktopdir%\MediaGet toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\MediaGet toolbar\MediaGet toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Open the start menu, select Run, and type “regedit.exe” in the box before pressing “OK” to access the registry editor. With the help of registry editor you can reverse the modification made by the MediaGet Trojan in the windows registry. In this regard following are the entries that are required to be removed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaGet toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaGet toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaGet toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaGet toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MediaGet toolbar\DisplayName MediaGet toolbar
Close the registry editor before restarting the computer in the normal mode. You have to update your existing antivirus program, and run a complete system scan to delete the infections caused by this dangerous Trojan infection.