The MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit is a malicious virus which often sneaks in the windows based computers through corrupt entries. The MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit is also used to create the backdoor on the infected computer to invite additional viruses. Once installed, this dangerous rootkit can make your browsing extremely slow, and most of the time, you are unable to perform your daily tasks. This application is used by the hackers to steal the personal information such as email credentials, user name, passwords, computer name, operating system, and credit card details. This information then transferred to a remote server that is managed by the hackers. Besides that, the MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit also able to run pop-up ads constantly once installed on any computer. These ads are actually an illegal way of making money, and increase the traffic on certain websites. The overall performance of the infected system will be reduced if the virus not removed quickly.
The Manual Removal of MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit
Once the system is infected by this deadly dangerous rootkit, your duty is to get rid of this virus at your earliest in order to save your system, and data. There are a number of automatic tools available to remove this virus; besides that, the manual removal of this virus is also possible, but only recommended for the advanced level computer user. The manual removal method is detailed below:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
The manual removal process starts from rebooting the system in the safe mode. Restart the system, use F8 key to see the boot options, and select safe mode option to terminate the normal mode, and restart your system in the safe mode.
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
To delete the malicious processes you have to open the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and click on the processes tab. You can see all the processes running in your computer under this tab. You have to delete the following processes related to this threat:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
You have to locate the following files by using the file explorer, and delete them quickly by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit.lnk
- %Programs%\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit \MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You can clean the windows registry with the help of the registry editor. Click on the start button, select the “Run”, type “RegEdit”, and press “OK “ to access the registry editor. You have to find and delete the following malicious entries created by this virus one by one:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS] [RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\ [RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\ [RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit \DisplayName MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit
Once the above mentioned entries are removed, you have to close the registry editor, and restart the machine in the normal mode. Update the current antivirus program, and run a complete system scan on the computer to get rid of the infections caused by the MBR:Wistler-a Rootkit.