The Local Moxie is a malicious redirect virus that infects the computers without the knowledge of the users. This dangerous parasite often spread through the Trojans, and compromised web pages. Once installed, it redirects all your searches towards the Local Moxie website. The Local Moxie parasite is also promoting the rootkit viruses that are used by the notorious hackers to steal the confidential data from the windows systems. It presents itself as a website that provides information about the local businesses, but actually this is nothing more than a malicious application that can make your system completely useless. This is an application that is used by the hackers to promote the affiliate products and services through unethical methods to make commissions. Once installed, the Local Moxie can make your system extremely slow by utilizing most of the system resources. Besides that, you cannot perform the normal browsing as all your searches redirected towards certain websites.
The Manual Removal of Local Moxie
Once confirming the presence of the Local Moxie, you have to drop everything you are doing, and then how to remove this malicious application. There are both automatic as well as manual methods available to remove this virus. The instructions for the manual removal method are as under:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before starting to remove this virus manually, you have to restart the computer in the safe mode. The safe mode can be accessed by rebooting the computer, and use F8 key to see the boot options. Once the boot options list appears on the screen, you have to select the safe mode, and press enter.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once you are able to start the system in the safe mode, you have to open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and hit the processes tab where you can see all the running processes. You have to delete the following suspicious processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
The next step is removal of the associated data. You have to find and delete the following suspicious files associated with this malicious application:-
- %Desktopdir%\Local Moxie.lnk
- %Programs%\Local Moxie\Local Moxie.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of the manual removal process is cleaning the windows registry. The changes in the windows registry can be done by accessing the registry editor. The registry editor can be started by executing the “RegEdit” command through “Run” option of the “Start Menu”. Once the registry editor accessed, you have to remove the following entries and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Local Moxie\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Local Moxie
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Local Moxie\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Local Moxie\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Local Moxie\DisplayName Local Moxie
Restart the infected system in the normal mode and evaluate the effectiveness of the manual removal process. Update the existing antivirus program and scan your system to delete the infections caused by this malicious application.