The LNK/AutoRun is a nasty virus that is classified as a Trojan infection. This infection is developed by the hackers with the clear motive to ruin the system files, and gain the control of browsing performed on the system. This malicious troojan possess keyloggers and other malware that can destroy your security, and connects the system to a remote server managed by the cyber crooks. Once installed, the LNK/AutoRun disables your task manager, registry editor, and all the security related software installed on the system. Apart from that, it stops you from downloading any new program. You will also notice that a number of important programs already installed on your computer become unresponsive, and whenever you open a website, you will be automatically diverted towards unwanted places. You will also receive a huge number of annoying pop-up ads on the screen whenever you open a new browser tab. The speed as well as performance affects negatively because of the presence of the LNK/AutoRun.
Removal of LNK/AutoRun
The LNK/AutoRun adware infection is a dangerous program that attacks and required to be removed in quick time to minimize the damage. You have to get rid of this adware either by selecting any automatic tool, or by following the instructions of the manual removal process. The steps involved in the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal instructions can be executed after accessing the infected machine in the safe mode. In this regard, reboot the PC, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted, to see the list of boot options. Once the boot options are accessed, strike the Enter key after selecting the safe mode option from the list.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, open the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Under the task manager window, you have to click on the processes tab to see a list of processes running in the background of your system. Kill the following suspicious processes one by one by using the End Process button, and close the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Proceed to the system files folder, and eredicate the following corrupt files associated with the LNK/AutoRun adware by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to get rid of the corrupt entries from the windows registry to complete this process. Access the registry editor by selecting the Run option from the start menu, and type “regedit”. After accessing the registry editor, you have to eliminate the following associated entries of the LNK/AutoRun:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\LNK/AutoRun\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\LNK/AutoRun\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\LNK/AutoRun\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\LNK/AutoRun\DisplayName LNK/AutoRun
Restart the PC in the normal mode to check the availability of the Trojan infection, and run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus program to remove any infections caused by this virus.