The Ixquick.com virus is a fake program that present itself as a legitimate search engine just like Google, and Yahoo. The Ixquick.com virus is classified as a browser hijacker that also work as a redirect virus. This nasty browser hijacker enters in a windows based system while visiting porn sites, file sharing networks, junk mail attachments, and social engineering. Once this virus makes its way into the system, it becomes one of the most dangerous browser hijackers of the recent times as it takes full control of your browsing activities. The speed of your browser affected badly because of this malicious application, and often you will be redirected towards unknown phishing websites. The home page, as well as search provider also changed without your permission. You cannot detect or remove the Ixquick.com virus through normal antivirus. Apart from that, this nasty browser hijacker is also responsible of showing thousands of annoying pop-up ads on the screen to disturb your normal browsing sessions. The main purpose of developing this lethal application is to make money through online frauds and other cyber crimes.
Removal of Ixquick.com virus
After knowing that the Ixquick.com virus is present in your PC, you have to drop whatever you are doing, and think about how to get rid of this browser hijacker. There are a number of ways through which you can eliminate this malicious application from your system. For the novice users, there are some good automatic tools available. For the experienced users, and professionals, there is a manual removal method available that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal process can be started once you boot the infected computer in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the personal computer, and access the boot options screen by pressing the F8 key repeatedly. Select the safe mode option from the list before pressing the Enter key to access the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Get rid of the associated processes of this malicious application to proceed further in the manual removal method. In this regard, hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the task manager, and click on the processes tab to erase the following processes associated with the Ixquick.com virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to eliminate the associated files of this browser hijacker. In this regard, you have to remove the following files from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Get rid of the associated registry entries of the Ixquick.com virus from the windows registry to complete this process. In this regard, click on the start menu, select Run option, and type RegEdit to open the registry editor. Remove the following entries with the help of the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ixquick.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ixquick.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ixquick.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ixquick.com\DisplayName Ixquick.com
Reboot the PC in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the instructions. Run a complete system scan from the main interface of your antivirus.