The iWin Toolbar is a toolbar virus that often acts as a browser hijacker, and used by the hackers to record as well as control the browsing activities of the targeted users. The iWin Toolbar enters in the computers secretly, and promoted through a number of other browser toolbars that are designed by the Conduit. This lethal browser hijacker infection can infect most of the browsers including the Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Once installed, the iWin Toolbar changes most of the browser settings including the default search engine, home page, and desktop background and you will also notice a number of new icons created on the desktop. You will notice that all your searches redirected towards unknown phishing websites where you are encouraged to buy certain types of unwanted products. This malicious application makes your system super slow by utilizing a large portion of system resources. The iWin Toolbar is used by the cyber criminals to access the personal data of the selected users and steal their money through frauds.
The Manual Removal of iWin Toolbar
Once it is confirmed that the iWin Toolbar is present in your computer, your main objective is to delete this infection not only quickly but also effectively. You can remove this infection with the help of any reliable automatic tool. Besides that, you can also use the manual removal method to remove this browser hijacker that is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the computer, and use the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of boot options. After accessing the boot options menu, you have to choose the safe mode option and hit the enter key to start your system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After successfully starting the computer in the safe mode you have to remove the associated processes of the iWin Toolbar. In this regard, you have to open the task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab where you have to find as well as delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step is removal of associated data for which you have to delete the following files from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\iWin Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\iWin Toolbar\iWin Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In order to clean the windows registry, you have to access the registry editor. In this regard, you have to click on the start menu, select “Run” and type “RegEdit” in the box to access the registry editor. You need to delete the following entries from there and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iWin Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iWin Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iWin Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iWin Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\iWin Toolbar\DisplayName iWin Toolbar
Restart the machine in the normal mode and analyze the success of the manual removal process, and run a system scan to remove any infections caused by this browser hijacker.