The Icanfindthis.com is a dangerous computer virus that comes under the category of the browser hijackers. This lethal infection sneaks in the computers without the knowledge of the user and can destroy your system completely. This malicious application can affect all the popular browsers including the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. The Icanfindthis.com has the ability to change your home page, modify the default search engine and alter your current desktop background. Besides that you will also notice a number of new icons are added to your desktop. Once installed, this browser hijacker takes complete control of your browsing and runs a number of annoying pop-up ads on your screen. Whenever you will try to open a website or search anything, you will be redirected towards certain unknown websites.
The Manual Removal of Icanfindthis.com
Once you have found that the Icanfindthis.com is present inside your PC you have to choose an effective method to remove this lethal browser hijacker at your earliest. You can select the manual removal choice but keep in mind that it involves a number of complicated steps that is not possible to understand for the novice users. The other choice is, the automatic removal tool to get rid of this virus. The instructions for the manual removal of this virus are as under:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Restart the PC, and use the F8 button in order to access the boot options menu. Once the boot options are accessed, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to operate the system in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once you started the computer in the safe mode successfully, you have to delete the related processes of the Icanfindthis.com . In this regard, you first need to open the list of running processes which is available under the processes tab in the windows task manager. Once the processes are accessed, you have to remove the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the system files folder and remove the following files that are attached with the Icanfindthis.com threat:-
- %Desktopdir%\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In order to reverse the modifications in the windows registry, you have to access the registry editor by staying in the safe mode of operation. You can do this by running the RegEdit command through the start menu. Once the registry editor is started, you have to delete the following suspicious entries before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus\DisplayName Icanfindthis.com Search Engine Virus
Restart your PC in the normal mode, and run a complete system scan before resuming your normal routine work on the system.